in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Best Introduction to GA Comics for Modern Kids?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Best Introduction to GA Comics for Modern Kids?  (Read 1838 times)

Ashatshur

message icon
Best Introduction to GA Comics for Modern Kids?
« on: April 15, 2011, 04:54:34 PM »

Hello! I work for a publisher of K-8 English textbooks, and I'm looking for a short comic to possibly include in our next edition. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, there are lots of requirements/limitations on what we can use. It should be short (like 4 pages--maybe a very short entry in an anthology or something?) and accessible to young (5th or 6th grade) audiences. In addition, it would need to be "acceptable" by modern school standards--like, no gore, no death, no swear words, etc. Most of all, it would have to be absolutely public domain in the US and copyright-free, without question.

I know that's probably a tall order, but after hours of Googling to no avail, I found this site--and it seems like you folks know your Golden Age comics! Maybe there are a few obvious best "first reads" in the GA genre, or maybe some of you have favorites that might fit the bill? Any advice, any suggestions, would be most helpful!

Ash
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Best Introduction to GA Comics for Modern Kids?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 05:04:42 PM »

I think you need to be a lot more specific.  What kind of text book is it?  Math, reading, science? And K-8 is a huge age range. Do you want something a kindergarten kid might be able to read but won't bore an 8th grader?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 04:49:01 AM »

I am a teacher and love the idea. True Comics, Stamp Comics, Real Fact and True Heroic would all fit the bill. If looking for adventure stories there are a lot of old anthology possibilities.
ip icon Logged

Ashatshur

message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 01:39:59 PM »

I think you need to be a lot more specific.  What kind of text book is it?  Math, reading, science? And K-8 is a huge age range. Do you want something a kindergarten kid might be able to read but won't bore an 8th grader?

It's an English Language Arts textbook (grammar, spelling, writing, reading). The comic will be for a reading component in the 5th grade edition. We'll probably have a little one-page instruction on how to read a comic, interpret the visuals, and connect the visual aspect to the overall story. Then we'll have a few (ideally, 3-4) pages of comic, and some study/discussion questions. Ideally, the comic would be as typical of the genre as possible, so that we could point out some genre conventions (though this isn't really a necessity).

In all honesty, Golden Age comics would not be my first choice, simply because I'm not familiar with them. I grew up on the X-Men and the like from the 80s and 90s, so I have at least some familiarity with those books. But we're a very small company, and licensing copyrighted material is simply not an option for us. We've considered producing a really short comic in-house, and we may still, but our art department already has a lot on its plate and there are very strict time constraints to consider. Our best bet is the public domain--which is why it burns me up every time Disney gets Congress to extend the copyright term, but that's a rant for another time and place.

I am a teacher and love the idea. True Comics, Stamp Comics, Real Fact and True Heroic would all fit the bill. If looking for adventure stories there are a lot of old anthology possibilities.

Great! I will look into those titles. Adventure stories would be just fine--as long as they're not too violent or depressing. (I read one last week that would've been perfect--right length and everything--but it was about a traffic cop who goes into a burning building to rescue a woman who is already dead, and then he dies too!)
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 01:59:12 PM »

Also check out Heroic Comics under the Eastern Color Printing listing.  Lots of short stories that would probably fit your bill to chose from in that title.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.